Omnidirectional antennas for a Drone use

Hello,
I want to set up a receiver on a Drone using an omnidirectional antenna and we are using a bipole antenna but we want to explore other options. Does anyone know if this type of antenna works with Sensorgnome?

https://www.digikey.es/es/products/detail/te-connectivity-laird/TRABT1420/3521736

Thank you

Helena

Looks to me like it should be fine, the gain ought to be lower than your dipole, however.
I believe all the Motus drone tests I’ve read about have been to lift tags up with drones, not to lift a receiver, but I’d be curious to find out if anyone else has done this…

Check out these couple of papers. They don’t specify the exact antenna model used.

A low-cost technique for radio-tracking wildlife using a small standard unmanned aerial vehicle (cdnsciencepub.com)

(4) (PDF) Estimating Wildlife Tag Location Errors from a VHF Receiver Mounted on a Drone (researchgate.net)

1 Like

We used a 3-element “LiteFlex” Yagi from Lotek for testing on a drone. It is directional though and works on 166. We just had it zip tied to the landing gear.

Derek

1 Like

Interesting papers! They say they used a flexible dipole hanging down, which makes sense. I’d look for end-fed dipole or sleeve dipole. One acknowledges technical help from Bob Morton from Maple Leaf Communications…